20030514

Matrix Reloaded opens nationwide today.

So let's do some philosophy, OK, kids?

"it certainly seems that we cannot be certain that we are not in a matrix"
David Chalmers

1. Assume it is true that we are in a matrix

Then I know nothing that is ultimately true.

2. Assume it is true that we are NOT in a matrix
Since I cannot be certain we are not in a matrix,
my belief that we are not in a matrix is not knowledge,
namely, since my matrix-ness is beyond certitude.

If we are in a matrix, we know nothing. Including knowing nothing about the matrix.
Even if I beleive I am in a matrix and imagine the matrix in such a way that
it corresponds exactly with the matrix, I still know
nothing
about the matrix. I've merely guessed well.

If we are not in a matrix, we still at least know nothing about our
"matrix-ness": about whether or not we are ultimately in a matrix..

We don't know if we are in a matrix. We can't even know if we know
anything about being in a matrix. What we do know, however, is this:

no amount of reflection on the subject reveals anything about the ultimate truth.

We can't even know whether or not we are wasting our time on the subject.
It seems the subject is one big black hole. Its center is hidden yet
that which approaches it
vanishes.

We might imagine, however, that with the time spent on the impossible question
we might have instead taken the time to realize
the value of imagination, of the immediacy of being,
that we live in the neighborhood
of imagining things into immediate being.
Our minds create.

We might also realize that what may be within this manifold of matrix/non-matrix
may be knowable but we may also realize that the very sense of "within"
bears no fruit. the twin concepts of ultimate truth and perspectivalism seem only to serve to
absorb thought. Thought that might be best purposed to ensure that
when I am dehydrated I drink, that
when I am hungry I eat, that
when I am tired I sleep.

It seems quite unsurprising, then, that the business of religion seems keen
on capitalizing upon the confusions and concentration generated by
paying attention to the seemingly fruitless divide between
"reality"
and
"perception."
The tax-exempt business of religion is focused primarily on that which is unverifiable.
Try charging a church
with fraud.
Your justification? They cannot prove or produce evidence of a deity beyond
reasonable doubt.
To see what I mean,
try selling someone
an imaginary house.
It won't take long
before you're in
trouble.
But sell people God and no amount of time will reveal truth or falsehood,
for the categories of religious indulgence are beyond verification.

Our true matrix is truly beyond us. Step right up.


No comments:

Followers